Friday, March 19, 2010

Why I'm drawn to portrait drawing

It's in the eyes. When I look at a photograph of a person, pet or anything with eyes for that matter, that's the first thing that attracts me. Even in real life I'm looking into the eyes. Eyes do their own talking by showing joy, fear, excitment, sadness, confusion, peacefulness, evil, kindness, any kind of emotion.
If I get the eyes right,I've captured the personality. When I get a subject looking straight forward in a photograph, the eyes of the portrait will follow you around the room. I find that awesome.
There's no particular color I like best, it's not about the color, it goes deeper. Maybe I believe the eyes really are the windows to the soul. Don't roll your eyes now, but when I do a portrait I actually talk to the subject I'm drawing and their eyes talk back to me. Not out loud, but you know what I mean. There is something special in the twinkle of an eye. Of course I have to get the rest of the face right too otherwise it wouldn't look right. That's another thing that attracts me. The detail in the whole face has to be precise,especially in a person.
I am not a perfectionist,nor am I a professional portrait artist (although I'd like to be) but I do like to capture a good likeness. It's a feeling of accomplishment and of course I like to see the response of the client. I can tell by their eyes and of course their smile or sometimes tears when they are happy with the portrait. That makes me happy too. ;) wink

No comments: