Thursday, July 17, 2008

Interesting but not pretty

After the flood waters went down I took some pictures in the area where Ed works ( or use to work). I didn't consider how bad it would smell at the time. It was nasty, something like dead fish and cow pooh, if you can imagine that! But I decided to try to find something unique anyway for a reference picture to draw. Here's what I shot.
This is the machine shop at Eagle Iron Works where Ed is a machinist. It's still closed more than a month after the flood. I don't plan to draw it. I tried to get a picture of the white chalk mark Ed put towards the top of the door of where the water level got to.
This is across the street from the plant. I thought it would be an interesting picture, but not so much after looking at it.

And this was kind of unique. It's a picture of a sewer along the curbing with a tennis shoe stuck in it. I was going to draw it and started on it. But as a drawing it was hard to tell exactly what it was and it just didn't make sense.

I have some other pictures from that area but I don't like any of them enough to draw. I think between the smell and and loss there's just nothing to get too excited over.

I am working on another drawing though, again it's different than a portrait. So I'll be posting an update soon. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out yet, but I'm liking it so far ;)

No comments: