Sunday, May 11, 2008

Colored pencil portrait in progress


This is a hard Mother's Day there's a piece missing. I worked on Mary's portrait a lot yesterday I was up till 2:00 in the morning. That's what happens when you have an obsession I mean a passion :) Anyway, I think the beginning stage is there and I can go on with the rest. There's not much to see yet but it's getting there. I'm working on skin tone now which has to be built up with lots of layers. So far only the wash is down. I needed to do her eyes before I went any farther for some reason that just works for me with most portraits. Guess I need that spark of realism. I haven't decided on the color for the background yet but that's a decision I'm going to have to make soon before I finish her skin tone. She's wearing a light blue blouse and her hair is white to grey. Any suggestions are welcomed and feel free to critique any changes that need to be made. Stay tuned and keep your seat pulled up. Watch the progress at Joyce Egbers colored pencil website.


3 comments:

Darla said...

I hate to suggest this, because you have such an excellent beginning so far, but have you thought about drawing her on a tinted or colored paper, since her hair is white and her blouse is light blue? Especially for the hair, the contrast of the paper color might really help. The lighter colors really "pop" when drawn on a colored paper - or you might even try a smooth matboard.

Joyce said...

Thanks Darla, I think the colored paper is a good idea. It's not too late to start over. It's not like I have a time limit here anyway and I'm just not liking it the way it is, so even if I finished it I wouldn't be pleased with it. Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Darla said...

It's going to be beautiful and I can't wait to see how you do skin tones. I am figuring it out, but it takes sooo much time. I am better at drawing houses or pets in color than I am drawing people in color. I'll be back for help from you, I'm sure.